Haydock: A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 4.

In history Haydock has been named as Hedoc, 1169; Heddoch, 1170; Haidoc, 1212. and then recently called Haydock

This township has an area of 2,409 acres. (fn. 1) From its situation between Newton and Ashton it seems to have been cut off from the former township. Clipsley Brook separates it from Garswood in Ashton, and Sankey Brook forms the south-west boundary. The population in 1901 numbered 8,575.

Haydock is varied in its natural features, sometimes undulating, sometimes flat. On the west the surroundings are unpicturesque but typical of a colliery country, scattered over with pit-banks and shafts of mines. On the east the country is pleasanter, with fields and plantations, and in this part is the locally celebrated race-course of HaydockPark. Crops of oats, wheat, potatoes, and cabbages seem to be the principal produce of the clayey soil. The geological formation consists largely of the Coal Measures, but the old Haydock Park and a small area to the west of the main road leading from Newton to Ashton in Makerfield lie upon the Bunter series of the New Red Sandstone.

The principal road, all along lined with dwellings, is that from St. Helens, passing east and north-east through Blackbrook and Haydock village to meet the great north and south road from Wigan to Warrington. The Liverpool, St. Helens and South Lancashire Railway, worked by the Great Central Company, passes through the township, and has a station at Haydock; and two others, called Ashton in Makerfield and Haydock Park, on the boundary of Ashton. An electric tramway service connects it with St. Helens. The St. Helens Canal goes by the side of Sankey Brook.


Coal-mining is the great industry of the place.

A local board was formed in 1872, (fn. 2) and in 1894 became an urban district council of twelve members.

Haydock Lodge is now a lunatic asylum. A cottage hospital was opened in 1886. A stone celt was found here. (fn. 3)


The manor of HAYDOCK was a dependency or member of the fee of Newton. (fn. 4) The first distinct notice of it is in 1168, when Orm de Haydock had paid two out of the 10 marks due from him to the aid for marrying the king’s daughter. (fn. 5) He granted land called Cayley to the Hospitallers. (fn. 6) His son Alfred took a surname from Ince, in which his demesne lay; and Haydock was divided between Hugh and William de Haydock, who were in possession in 1212. (fn. 7)

Haydock of Haydock. Argent a cross with a fleur-de-lis sable in the first quarter.

The manor was held in moieties from an early time. The later Haydock family (fn. 8) descended from Hugh. William’s descendants (fn. 9) died or sold their interest in the middle of the 13th century (fn. 10) to Thurstan de Holland, whose son Robert held also, as it seems, a mesne lordship over the whole of Haydock. (fn. 11) This manor descended to the male heirs of Thurstan and his son Sir Robert, and lapsed to the Crown by the forfeiture of Henry, Duke of Exeter, in 1461. (fn. 12)

It is unlikely that the Hugh de Haydock of 1212 was the Hugh acting on inquests of 1242 and 1265; (fn. 13) more probably the latter was a son. Hugh de Haydock had a son Gilbert, who married Alice daughter of Matthew de Bold, and received lands in Bold with her. (fn. 14) Their son and heir was named Matthew, and in 1286 ten messuages, eight oxgangs and 4 acres of land in Haydock and Bold were settled on Matthew by his father, (fn. 15) and the moiety of the manor of Haydock was granted in 1292. (fn. 16) Some other acts of Gilbert’s are known; (fn. 17) he seems to have died about 1300. (fn. 18)

Matthew de Haydock lived till about 1322; (fn. 19) a number of his charters are extant, (fn. 20) showing that he acquired fresh properties; one of these, in Walton le Dale, he gave to his son Hugh. (fn. 21) His son Gilbert succeeded. He had a grant of free warren in Haydock and Bradley in 1344; also leave to make a park in Haydock. (fn. 22) By his wife Emma (fn. 23) there was a numerous offspring, but elder sons, named Matthew and Gilbert, seem to have died young, (fn. 24) and the heir to the manor was John de Haydock, who was in possession by 1358. (fn. 25)

He married Joan, daughter of Sir Thomas de Dutton, (fn. 26) and died 12 December 1387, holding the moiety of the manor of Haydock and lands there of Sir John de Holland of Thorpe Watervill in socage by a rent of 17s.; holding also various lands in Newton, Golborne, and Bold. His son and heir Gilbert was thirty years of age. (fn. 27) Of Sir Gilbert’s children the heir was his daughter Joan, who carried this and other manors to the family of her first husband, Peter de Legh of Lyme in Cheshire. (fn. 28) She afterwards married Sir Richard de Molyneux of Sefton, and her tomb is in Sefton Church. (fn. 29) The manor has since remained a part of the Legh inheritance, (fn. 30) Lord Newton being the present lord as well as chief landowner. (fn. 31)

Numerous other branches of the Haydock family (fn. 32) and minor holders existed in the 13th and 14th centuries. (fn. 33) No resident freeholders are named in the lists of 1556, 1600, and 1628.

The Ven. Edmund Arrowsmith, S.J., executed for his priesthood at Lancaster in 1628, was born in Haydock. (fn. 34)Katherine Arrowsmith, a leaseholder under Sir Peter Legh, had two-thirds of her tenement sequestered by the Commonwealth authorities for her recusancy; Thurstan her son, ‘a Protestant and conformable,’ claimed it in 1652, and it was allowed him on his taking the oath of abjuration. (fn. 35) Thurstan Callan and Mary his mother, widow of William Callan, in 1717 as ‘papists’ registered their estate in the house called Blackbrook. (fn. 36)

The Hospitallers’ estate at CAYLEY was held by Guy Holland about 1540. (fn. 37) The Holland family had other estates in the same part of Haydock. (fn. 38)

In connexion with the Established Church St. James’s was built in 1866; (fn. 39) there is a mission chapel called St. Mark’s. The rector of Ashton in Makerfield is the patron.

A Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in 1846; and a Primitive Methodist one in 1875. The Baptists have a place of worship, erected in 1876. A Congregational church was built in 1892 by Miss Ruth Evans, in memory of her brother Joseph, one of the colliery owners of the district. (fn. 40)

The Roman Catholic school-chapel of the English Martyrs was opened in 1879; it was at first served from Blackbrook, St. Helens, but a resident priest was appointed in 1887. (fn. 41)



    • 1. 2,411, including 30 of inland water; Census of 1901.


    • 2Lond. Gaz. 16 July 1872.


    • 3Lancs. and Ches. Antiq. Soc. v, 329.


    • 4V.C.H. Lancs. i, 366; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), i, 138; ibid. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 105.


    • 5. Farrer, Lancs. Pipe R. 12. The arrears in 1171 were pardoned, because he was poor; ibid. 23.


    • 6Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 74.


    • 7. Ibid. loc. cit. Haydock appears to have been rated as two plough-lands, one each being held by Hugh and William deHaydock. The services required of them are not stated, but Alfred de Ince held his three plough-lands (including Haydock) by 30s. and providing two judges. The grants are described as ‘of ancient feoffment,’ i.e., originating before the death of Henry I.


    • 8. a See below. Numerous deeds of the family are in possession of the Leghs of Lyme; these were transcribed by the late Canon Raines, and may be seen in vol. xxxviii of his collections, now in the Chet. Lib. Manchester.


    • 9. The Andrew de Haydock who had a son Geoffrey, to whom he gave half of Longshawhead; and a son-in-law Hugh son of Hugh de Haydock, who had married his daughter Cecily, may have been one of William’s descendants; Raines MSS. xxxviii, 37, 150. To him there was a release by William son of William de Haydock; ibid. 219. Andrew de Haydock was a juror in 1246; Assize R. 404, m. 16.


    • 10. Thurstan de Holland made grants to William his son; Raines, loc. cit. 225, 229. Joan wife of William de Multon claimed land in Haydock in 1325–6 as her dower after the death of William de Holland, her previous husband; Inq. p.m. 19 Edw. II, no. 96.


    • 11. Robert son of Thurstan de Holland described himself as ‘lord of Haydock’ in 1282 on making a grant to John son of John de Orrell of land by Eynlues Clough; Raines MSS. xxxviii, 231. Sir Robert de Holland, at his forfeiture in 1322, held half the manor of Haydock of John de Langton and Alice his wife for 6s. 8d.; Inq. p.m. 18 Edw. II, no. 68. That the lordship extended also over the moiety held by the Haydock family is shown by the inquiry into an alienation to the priory of Burscough in 1346, when it was found that there remained to Gilbert de Haydock the manor of Haydock, held of Sir Robert de Holland by the service of 10s. yearly, Sir Robert holding it of Sir Robert de Langton by the same service; Inq. p.m. 20 Edw. III (2nd nos.), no. 59.


    • 12. Maud, widow of Robert de Holland, died seised of the manor of Haydock, held of Robert de Langton in socage by a service of 6s. 8d. and suit to Newton; Inq. p.m. 23 Edw. III (1st nos.), no. 58. See also Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 3. In September, 1458, Henry Duke of Exeter, and Anne his wife (sister of Edw. IV), leased their manors of Haydock, Newton, Breightmet, Harwood, and Over Darwen to John Dutton and Hugh Dawne for thirty-nine years at the rent of £19 6s. 8d., of which £15 was allowed to John and Hugh; Raines, loc. cit. 65. In 1465 Edw. IV granted to his sister Anne and her heirs by her husband Henry late Duke of Exeter the manors of Newton and Haydock; and three (?) years later, the duchess having died and the remainder to Anne daughter of the said duchess having failed through her death childless, Edw. IV granted these manors to his consort Elizabeth, the queen; Add. MS. 32107, fol. 171, referring to Pat. 5 Edw. IV, pt. ii, m. 3, and 8 Edw. IV, pt. iii, m. 3. There is some error in the latter reference, as Anne, Duchess of Exeter, did not die until 1476; G.E.C. Complete Peerage, iii, 298. At an inquiry made in 1506 at the instance of Peter Legh it was found that half the manor was his, as heir of the Haydock family, and the other half was the Crown’s, by the forfeiture of Henry, Duke of Exeter, and the failure of issue; Raines, loc. cit. 499–503; Duchy of Lanc. Misc. Bks. xxi, 7, 7a. The Holland mesne lordship over the whole of Haydock was ignored, and in 1541 Peter Legh was stated to have held his half of the manor by a rent of 6s. 8d. directly of the lord of Newton; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. viii, no. 10.


    • 13Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 74, 146, 232. The Hugh of 1212 had married a daughter of Adam de Lawton; ibid. 73. Hugh de Haydock granted to William de Coldcotes, in free marriage with Amice his daughter, land in Haydock which Henry Roebuck formerly held in Fathercroft; Raines, loc. cit. 221. The grantee afterwards restored it to Gilbert son of Hugh, for ‘100s. given in his great need’; ibid.


    • 14. Ibid. 277; Cronshaw, Timberhead, and Blacklache are named among the bounds. Hugh and Robert, rectors of Standish and Winwick, were among the witnesses. Gilbert de Haydock, with the consent of Alice his wife, made a grant of land in Bold to Alan de Penketh; Dods. MSS. cxlii, fol. 217b, no. 168.


    • 15Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 164.


    • 16. Ibid. i, 174. Richard de Ince and Alice his wife put in their claim. This seems to be the latest notice of the Ince family’s claim on the manor. Matthew was probably not the eldest son, for in 1260 Gilbert de Southworth granted all his lands in Warrington to Hugh son of Gilbert de Haydock in marriage with his daughter Agnes; Raines, loc. cit. 75.


    • 17. In 1299 he gave Matthew his son lands in Haydock and Bold, the natives with their sequel, &c.; Raines, loc. cit. 235. At another time he gave his son four oxgangs of land—three once held by Ralph, Orme, and Moses, and one called ‘Walftheuronys oxegeng,’ with Dicherys croft, and other lands; the son to perform the services due to the chief lord of the fee, ‘my lord Robert de Holland,’ and his heirs, and suit of a judge of the court of Newton for the mediety of the manor of Haydock; ibid. 223; also 229. Probably in connexion with one of these grants Gilbert wrote in 1285 to ‘his beloved and faithful man’ William son of Richard le Roter of Cayley, telling him that he had granted his service to his son Matthew, to whom in future the accustomed homage and service must be rendered; ibid. 227. From William son of Richard de Orrell he purchased in 1273 an acre in Ladymarsh, in a field called the Halgh; ibid. 123.


    • 18. In 1304 William son of Richard de Haydock released to his ‘chief lord’ Matthew de Haydock all claim on lands which should have descended to him on the death of Hugh his brother; apparently this was two oxgangs; ibid. 237.


    • 19. His son Gilbert appears to have been in full possession in 1323; among other acts he granted Richard de Ince a rent of 13s. 4d. from his lands in Haydock, Bold, and Golborne; ibid. 33. In 1329 are named the executors of the will of Matthew de Haydock, viz. Gilbert de Haydock, Peter de Winwick, chaplain, and Hugh de Hulme; De Banco R. 279, m. 300 d.


    • 20. The earliest which has a date (1284–5) is by Robert Banastre, lord of Makerfield, to Matthew son of Gilbert de Haydock, granting land in Newton called Galpesch—Waterfall Clough and Kulne Clough are named in the boundaries; also in Bentfurlong; the rent was 11s.; Raines, loc. cit. 123. In 1304 William son of Richard de Haydock released to his chief lord, Matthew son of Gilbert de Haydock, all his claim in two oxgangs in Haydock, and all he had by hereditary right after the death of Hugh his brother; ibid. 237. Eleanor, the daughter of Matthew de Haydock, married Simon son of William de Walton, and in 1340 had sons Henry and Gilbert; ibid. 253. Gilbert de Haydock had grants of lands in Spellow and Newsham from his brother-in-law; ibid.


    • 21. Ibid. 245; dated at Haydock, 6 Aug. 1321.


    • 22. Chart. R. 18 Edw. III, m. 5, no. 24; Raines, loc. cit. 505.


    • 23. Gilbert de Haydock and Emma his wife had a grant in Burtonwood in 1332; ibid. 531. Sir Gilbert de Haydock was knight of the shire in 1320, 1321, and 1324; Pink and Beaven, Parl. Repre. of Lancs. 19, 20. He is not described as knight in later deeds. In the return of 1324 the name of Thomas de Lathom was substituted for his.


    • 24. In 1336 William le Boteler of Warrington granted to Gilbert de Haydock and Matthew his son land in Burtonwood; Raines, loc. cit. 293. It is possible that he was the Matthew de Haydock who accompanied Lord Stafford to Guienne in 1345; Rymer, Foedera (ed. Cayley), iii, 36. In 1347 Sir Matthew de Haydock was concerned in the abduction of Margery de la Beche; Cal. Pat. 1345–8, p. 310. Gilbert de Haydock was also charged, but pardoned soon afterwards on the king being assured that he was ‘wholly guiltless;’ ibid. 319, 345, &c. Gilbert was described as ‘son and heir’ in 1325 in a grant by William son of Richard de Orrell of land in Newton; Raines, loc. cit. 35. Possibly he died, as he is not further mentioned as son and heir; but a Gilbert son of Gilbert de Haydock was living in 1343, when he had a grant in Newton from John son of Richard le Perpoint; ibid. 145. A settlement of the moiety of the manor of Haydock and lands in Haydock, Bold, Newton, and other townships was made in 1332; the children of Gilbert are thus named: Matthew, John, Richard, Peter, Leonard, Nicholas, Anabel, Eleanor, and Katherine; Final Conc. ii, 82; Raines, loc. cit. 39. In another deed of the same year the remainders to the children of Gilbert son of Matthew de Haydock are thus given: Matthew, Peter, Richard, John, Anabel, and Eleanor; ibid. 236. The two daughters are named as late as 1368; ibid. 165. In the remainders in a provision for the younger children made in 1335 the order is John, Richard, Katherine, Anabel, and Eleanor; with final remainder to Matthew; ibid. 43. Gilbert de Haydock was living in 1354, when he received a grant of lands in Newton from Sir Robert de Langton; ibid. 157. At Christmas 1361, Gilbert le Norreys, administrator of the goods of Gilbert de Haydock, arranged for certain payments to be made according to the will of the deceased: £4 to Geoffrey de Worsley, 33s. 4d. each to the churches of Winwick and Warrington, and £5 7s. 6d. to certain chaplains singing divine service for his soul; ibid. 53. A contemporary, Henry de Haydock, was knight of the shire from 1328 to 1337; Pink and Beaven, op. cit. 22. One of the name, brother of Gilbert de Haydock, is named in 1347; Raines, loc. cit. 421.


    • 25. He had a grant from Sir Robert de Langton in that year; Raines, loc. cit. 157. He had earlier, in 1350, purchased lands in Newton from William son of John son of John the Piper, Emma, widow of the younger John, assenting; ibid. 155. Piperfield in Newton was the subject of a grant by him in 1373; ibid. 146.


    • 26. John son of Gilbert de Haydock and Joan his wife occur in 1353; Assize R. 435, m. 32; she was the widow of Richard le Boteler, with whom she had a third of the Boteler lands; these she took to her second husband, whose heirs retained them, an act which led to disputes between the families not settled till the 16th century; see Raines, loc. cit. 73, 79, 80. In 1368 a number of family arrangements were made. William de Wigan, chaplain, regranted to John de Haydock and Joan his wife, daughter of Sir Thomas de Dutton, various lands in Newton, with remainders to the children of John and Joan, and then to Sir Lawrence de Dutton, and Anabel and Eleanor, sisters of John de Haydock; Raines, loc. cit. 165. A grant by John son of Sir Robert de Langton names the children of John and Joan thus: Gilbert, Matthew, and Nicholas, Ellen, Emma, Agnes, and Philippa; ibid. 167. Four years later Talpeshaw in Newton was granted with remainders (after the children) to Sir Lawrence de Dutton (brother of Joan), Sir Geoffrey de Worsley, and Sir John Mascy of Tatton and his wife Alice daughter of Geoffrey de Worsley; ibid. 238. The reason for the Worsley remainder is that Geoffrey, the father of Sir Geoffrey and Alice, had married Anabel daughter of Gilbert de Haydock; ibid. 421. In 1352 John and Richard sons of Gilbert de Haydock were acquitted of the murder of Adam son of William del Moore; Assize R. 434, m. 2. Provision for Richard was made in 1348; Final Conc. ii, 127. Richard died before July 1361, when his lands reverted to his brother John; Raines, loc. cit. 53.


    • 27Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), i, 31. John de Haydock had been summoned to the Scrope-Grosvenor trial in 1386, being then sixty-four years of age; Roll (ed. Nicolas), 290.


    • 28. In Sept. 1394, Gilbert son and heir of John de Haydock enfeoffed Richard de Carleton, rector of Warrington, and others of his manors of Haydock and Bradley, and various lands in Haydock, Newton, Golborne, and Bold; Raines, loc. cit. 57. A year later Henry de Haydock released to the trustees all his claim in the manors; ibid. 59; and shortly afterwards Sir John de Holland of Thorpe Watervill leased to Sir Gilbert de Haydock the park in Haydock; ibid. In 1420 Sir Gilbert de Haydock, Sir Peter de Legh and Joan his wife received from the trustee, Reginald del Downes, mayor of Macclesfield, who had married Sir Gilbert’s daughter Alice, a release of his interest in their manors in Lancashire; ibid. 63. The marriage covenant is given on p. 525; Gilbert de Haydock, kt., and Sibyl his wife, and Peter de Legh, esq., were parties; the date is illegible, but that it was in or before 1414 is shown by another deed; ibid. 393. The son and heir, Peter de Legh, was born in June 1415. The Bishop of Lichfield granted Gilbert de Haydock licence for his oratories at Haydock and Bradley in Dec. 1387; Lich. Epis. Reg. Scrope, v, fol. 123b. Sir Gilbert de Haydock had from Ric. II a protection from serving as escheator, &c., and this was confirmed by Hen. IV in 1403; Pal. of Lanc. Ch. Misc. 1–9, m. 15. He is last named in 1425; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 12.


    • 29. See the account of Sefton. She died in Jan. 1439–40.


    • 30. Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vi, no. 63; viii, no. 10; xxviii, no. 32; xxix, no. 16. Accounts of the Legh family are in Earwaker, East Ches. ii, 293–306, and Ormerod, Ches. (ed. Helsby), iii, 673–8.


    • 31. In 1787 Peter Legh contributed £42 out of the £43 levied as land tax.


    • 32. Some of these have been noticed in the account of the parent family, to which most of the minor properties appear to have returned by purchase or inheritance. William son of Hugh son of Hugh de Haydock granted to Matthew son of Gilbert de Haydock land by Matthew’s orchard in Oldfield, to be held of his chief lord, Sir Robert de Holland; Raines, loc. cit. 229. Henry son of William de Haydock granted land in Oldfield (or Heldfield), abutting on Taylor’s Marsh, to his chief lord, Matthew de Haydock; ibid. 227. William son of Richard son of Hugh de Haydock gave to the same Matthew four selions in Aldenather, Crooked Beancroft, and Hengrave; ibid. 235. The seal shows a lion rampant reguardant.


    • 33. Hawise daughter of Henry de Hargrave in 1335 made a grant to Gilbert son of Matthew de Haydock; ibid. 41. Richard son of Stephen del Edge confirmed this charter; ibid. 43. The same or another Hawise was in 1327 the wife of Thomas son of Agnes del Shaw; ibid. 37. Robert son of Laysig sold for 100s. to Gilbert de Haydock a messuage and land formerly held by Gilbert’s uncle William; ibid. 221.


    • 34. For a full biography see Foley, Records S.J. ii, 24–74; Challoner, Miss. Priests, ii, no. 160; Gillow, Bibl. Dict. of Engl. Cath. i, 62. Thurstan Arrowsmith, the grandfather, died in Salford gaol in 1583 as a recusant; Foley, op. cit. iii, 801. Robert, the father, who married Margery daughter of Nicholas Gerard, was also imprisoned on suspicion of harbouring a priest; he and his brother Peter afterwards served in the Low Countries—discharging their muskets in the air for fear of hurting any Catholics—and then joined the Spaniards. Peter died abroad, and Robert, after visiting his brother Edmund, a professor at Douay, returned to England, where he died. His widow Margery was fined for recusancy in 1599. The Edmund Arrowsmith just named entered the English College, Rome, in 1583, aged 19; Foley, op. cit. vi, 155. Bryan Arrowsmith was born in 1585 and educated at a local school. In 1605 he went to Douay; taking his uncle’s name Edmund at his confirmation, he was afterwards known by it. He was ordained priest and sent to England in 1613, labouring in Lancashire. Arrested in 1622 (it is supposed) he was brought before Bishop Bridgeman, but after a short imprisonment released. In 1624 he entered the Society of Jesus. Four years afterwards he was arrested in consequence of a denunciation by one Holden. He was tried at Lancaster by Sir Henry Yelverton, and condemned and executed on 28 Aug.; by a special consideration he was allowed to hang till he was dead, before the rest of the sentence was carried out. His hand is preserved at St. Oswald’s, Ashton in Makerfield, and many miracles are attributed to it. The first stage in the process of canonization was passed in 1887.


    • 35Cal. of Com. for Compounding, iv, 3004; or more fully in the Royalist Comp. Papers (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 86–90. The lease was made to petitioner’s grandmother, Katherine Arrowsmith, who died about 1640, and descended to her son Robert and his wife Katherine, the recusant; the husband died about 1646, and his widow had retained possession of the third portion. The ‘average’ consisted of two days’ ploughing, two days’ loading of corn, four days’ reaping, and four days’ haymaking, or a payment of 2s. 9d. The house and land are described; among the fields were the Rounds, Kirkfield, Oak Hey, Cayley Green, Ridding, and Hempyard.


    • 36Engl. Cath. Non-jurors, 114.


    • 37. Kuerden MSS. v, fol. 84; the rent was 12d. In 1546 Sir Peter Legh acquired Guy Holland’s lands in Haydock; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 12, m. 196.


    • 38. Sir Thurstan de Holland granted to William his son all his part of Cayley in Haydock, the bounds beginning where Kemesley Clough fell into the Sankey and going across outside the hedge of Cayley to Clippesley Brook and Blackbrook, then up Sankey to the starting point. He further gave him three oxgangs in the Butterscrofts under the wood of Haydock, with the usual easements and common rights. A rent of a mark was to be paid yearly to Sir Thurstan during his life, and nothing afterwards; but the rent of 12d. due to the Hospitallers was to be paid by William de Holland and his heirs; Raines, loc. cit. 229. He also granted Barley Metes to William; ibid. 225. Matthew son of Gilbert de Haydock granted William son of Thurstan de Holland land in Cayley in the Blackridding (or in Warrington Cliff), in exchange for another piece on Ewittinges Hedge, abutting upon Hengrave; ibid. 231, 233. In 1307 William son of Sir Thurstan demised to his lord William son of Sir Robert de Holland two oxgangs in Haydock for a term of sixteen years at a rent of 11s. Seven years later Sir William de Holland gave land near the Blackridding to Richard son of William de Holland of Cayley, in exchange for the two oxgangs Sir William had on lease; ibid. 31, 33. William son of Richard de Holland of Cayley is mentioned in 1339; ibid. 45. Margaret widow of William de Holland of Cayley in 1347 leased to Gilbert de Haydock and John his son for six years lands in Cayley, which she held by reason of the minority of her son Richard, at a rent of 40s.; ibid. 47. The son may be the Richard de Cayley to whom in the following year John son of Gilbert de Haydock gave all his lands and buildings in Haydock; ibid. 49. Another William de Holland of Cayley occurs in 1383; ibid. 57.


    • 39. A district was assigned in 1864; Lond. Gaz. 30 Aug.


    • 40. Nightingale, Lancs. Nonconf. iv, 166; preaching had begun a few years earlier.


  • 41Liverpool Cath. Ann. 1901.

Townships: Haydock


Related posts