History of the Vulcan Foundry , Newton le Willows
|1781||George Stephenson was born at Wylam-on-Tyne, Northumberland.|
|1785||Charles Tayleur was born.|
|1803||Robert Stephenson was born at Willington Quay, Northumberland.|
|1816||Daniel Gooch was born in Bedlington, Northumberland, on 24th August, 1816|
|1823||George Stephenson founded a locomotive works at Newcastle-on-Tyne.|
|1829||The Rocket was built by Robert Stephenson & Co. won the prize of ?500 at the Rainhill Trials that were held to determine the most suitable type of locomotive for the new Liverpool and Manchester Railway.|
|1830||The Vulcan Foundry was established at Newton-le-Willows by Charles Tayleur, a Liverpool merchant and engineer, for the production of locomotives.|
|The Liverpool and Manchester Railway opened.|
|The Warrington and Newton Railway was opened.|
|1832||Robert Stephenson joined Charles Tayleur in partnership at the Vulcan Foundry.|
|1833||Mr Hargreaves of Bolton, Lancashire, took delivery of the first two locomotives to be built at the works. They were the Tayleur and Stephenson (four wheeled engines of the Planet type).|
|Two bogie engines, named Fire Fly and Red Rover, each with single driving wheels were exported to America for the Camden and Woodbury Railroad.|
|1834||Daniel Gooch (later to become Sir Daniel, and an outstanding locomotive designer with Great Western Railway) entered Vulcan Foundry as an engineering apprentice.|
|1835||In February 1835, on the threshold of the Industrial Revolution, Joseph Ruston was born at Chatteris in Cambridgeshire. He grew up on his father?s farm where he developed an interest in its machinery and future potential for improvement.|
The first iron sea going vessel Tayleur, a tea clipper, was built at the Bank Quay Foundry.
Regrettably, the ship was wrecked in heavy storms in the Irish Sea on her maiden voyage to Australia and of the 652 people on board, 380 lost their lives
1904The Vulcan design for a 4 cylinder Atlantic type balanced compound engine was accepted by the Great Northern Railway. Features included the Vulcan patent starting valve and reversing gear.
1914The three thousandth locomotive was completed – a broad gauge 2-6-2 type for Great Indian Peninsular Railway.
1914/8Vulcan war production included shells, gun mountings and Paravanes (mine sweeping devices). Ruston Burton & Proctor built almost 3000 single seat light aircraft at Lincoln. Between 1916-18 Rustons built about 500 Caterpillar tractors for hauling guns.
1918Ruston acquired the firm of Richard Hornsby & Sons.
1922/3Twenty 4-8-0 type locomotives were built for the metre gauge Uganda Railway in the Kenya Colony. Fifteen were designed for oil burning the remainder for coal.
1929The first non-steam locomotive was built at Vulcan – an electric locomotive for India.
1930Front page news when Vulcan, pioneers in transporting locomotives by road, despatched their first engine from the works by road in January.
1932Design work commenced on the first diesel locomotive to be built at Vulcan Foundry.
1933Vulcan Foundry entered into an agreement with A/S Frichs of Aarhus, Denmark for the building of diesel locomotives. The English Electric Company Limited supplied the first 6K engines to be used in rail traction. These were for diesel electric shunt locomotives.
1934/5One hundred class 5 engines were delivered to London Midland and Scottish – an indication of the tendency to develop a first class mixed traffic loco capable of hauling any train.
1935 The largest locomotive (in overall dimensions) built to date at Vulcan. Twenty-four 4-8-4 locomotives were built for the Chinese National Railways. The overall length of engine and tender was 93ft 2.1/2ins.
1936Vulcan were invited to design and develop an entirely new tank.
1937The locomotive business of Hawthorn Leslie merged with Robert Stephenson and Company, under the name of Robert Stephenson and Hawthorns Limited.
1938Pilot models of the Waltzing Matilda tank were ready for trials.
1940Matildas in action on the Western Front (and later in North Africa, Russia and the Pacific). The Companys agreement with A/S Frichs ended (due to the hostilities). A new agreement signed with the Dury Car Company Limited, for the manufacture of diesel mechanical locomotives. Ruston & Hornsby Limited took over Davey Paxman & Co (Colchester) Limited.
1941King George VI and Queen Elizabeth visited Vulcan Foundry.
1943/5Over five hundred 2-8-0 Austerity type steam locomotives were built for use by the War Department.
1944Vulcan Foundry acquired Robert Stephenson and Hawthorns Limited. In 1944 the workforce reached its peak of 4,128 employees.
Total contributions by Vulcan to the war effort in terms of military equipment:-
250 Mk V and Mk I light tanks,
600 Matilda tanks,
1700 machine gun mounts,
10,000 major torpedo parts,
40,000 smaller torpedo details.
1946Vulcan commenced building mechanical parts for electric and diesel electric locomotives working in conjunction the English Electric Company Limited. One hundred and twenty 2-8-0 Liberation locomotives were built for the war-ravaged countries, Belgium, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, Poland and Luxembourg.
1949Diesel electric and electric locomotives produced in co-operation with the English Electric Company Limited in addition to the steam locomotives being built at the time. The first main line diesel electric locomotive to operate in Egypt was built at Vulcan Foundry and was fitted with an English Electric 16SVT engine.
1954The last order for steam locomotives receive, three 2-6-2 wood burning locomotives for the North Borneo Railways.
1955Vulcan Foundry together with its associate company, Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn Limited of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, became full members of the English Electric Group of Companies. English Electric diesel engines were built at Vulcan Foundry for the first time.
1956The 6,204th steam locomotive was built at Vulcan Foundry, a 4-8-4 (class 31) locomotive for East African Railways – the last big main line steam order for Vulcan, forty six were built.
1957An order for 22 Deltic locomotives was placed by British Rail each being powered with two 18 cylinder Napier Deltic engines. The first diesel electric locomotive for the railway modernisation scheme was handed over to British Rail.
1962Vulcan Foundry became the Vulcan Works of English Electric Company Limited. The variety of work was increased to include diesel engines for traction, marine and industrial applications.
1964By May of this year 1173 diesel and electric locomotives had been despatched from the works.
1965A Vulcan built 12 cylinder CSVT engine became the two thousandth English Electric diesel engine to be delivered to British Rail. This was installed in a Vulcan built standard type 3 diesel electric locomotive.
1966Ruston & Hornsby Limited and the English Electric Company Limited merged and formed English Electric Diesels Limited.
1968The English Electric Company Limited became part of the GEC Group of Companies.
1970Continuous locomotive production at Vulcan Foundry came to an end with the last main line locomotive to be supplied to Ghana Railways and Ports. Ruston Paxman Diesel Limited was formed as a management company of English Electric Diesels Limited with headquarters at Vulcan Works.
1972English Electric Diesels Limited changed its title to GEC Diesels Limited.
1975Ruston Diesels Limited became a separate company within GEC Diesels Limited.
1984Ruston success was rewarded with the presentation of the Queens Award for Export Achievements
1989The engineering Companies of GEC and Alcatel Alsthom formed GEC ALSTHOM
1990Four Ruston 16RK270 engines were the power behind Hoverspeed Great Britain winning the Hales Trophy (Blue Riband). The vessel was the first large passenger/car high-speed wave piercing fast ferry.
1998Three major contracts for the supply of diesel engines for rail traction saw the revival of Rustons involvement with railways. Ruston success was rewarded with the presentation of the Queens Award for Export Achievements. GEC ALSTHOM floated on the Stock Exchanges as ALSTOM, Ruston and its sister companies became part of ALSTOM Engines Ltd. Catlink V, a larger version of Hoverspeed Great Britain and powered by 4 Ruston 20RK270 engines awarded the Hales Trophy
The History of Vulcan Works from 1830 to 2002 , Prepared by Malcolm Siberry,
Copyright 2000 ,MAN B & W Diesel Ltd.
Used with Permission