Southworth Burial Mound

Southworth Burial Mound Take Myddleton Lane (the ‘Eastern avenue’ off the Winwick mound) out of Winwick towards Culcheth and it will lead down the ley line towards Croft where it becomes Southworth Lane as it passes the ancient Southworth Hall over the M6 motorway. In the fields to the right Victorian Historical Journals from the Warrington Historical Society mention there may have been the burial mounds though these are now lost being ploughed flat, and in the field to the left on the Newton side, between the motorway and Southworth…

Read More

St Peters Church

Below are a few images that show some of the many changes made to St Peters over the years. St Peters Church (approx 1835) This picture of St Peters is from about the year 1835 and clearly shows the Church without its bell tower, also visible in this image, standing to the left side of the church is the obelisk which was later removed to the centre of Earlestown Market, where it still stands. St Peters Church (approx 1910) In this lower of the two images you can clearly see…

Read More

Dean School, Newton-le-Willows

Details relating to its early history and later domestic use were discovered during the course of this research. Information about its builder and later residents will also be considered, along with some details about the Dean School Trust set up by the original builder of the property. THE FOUNDATION OF THE SCHOOL Dean School, or Dene School, was founded in 1677 by John Stirrup.(1) The building was erected on a piece of barren land.(2) The date of construction is cited on an inscription that was over the front entrance to…

Read More